I’m not going to be talking about using apple cider vinegar as a facial toner, or for ‘no poo’ shampoo challenges, or for anything else for your hair and skin. Well, not directly. Personally, I think it smells funny and there’s one thing I love is nice smelling hair and skin, especially because both are so close to my nose!
Though I practice ‘what goes on your skin goes in’, and make a lot of my own face and hair products too, my using apple cider vinegar is all about digesting for my skin from the inside. When you drink apple cider vinegar regularly, ideally before each main meal, your digestion improves and you naturally begin assimilating more from your food. This can also reduce hunger, help with getting more energy from your food and in losing weight.
This is not something just pulled randomly out of the ether, either. Hippocrates said thousands of years ago that all diseases begin in the gut. My favorite scientist and nutrition guru, Chris Kresser, has described the gut-skin connection as the cool fact of our amazing bodies that it is. Digestion is fundamental to every cell that makes up every tissue that makes up every organ in our body: each depends on the digestive system to provide the nutrients it needs to keep on functioning.
Apple cider vinegar has so many uses like cleaner skin and hair, but also aids in things like heartburn, enzymes, bad breath, leg cramps and restless legs, stamina and energy, and of course, digestion. In fact, if you look at all of these things I’ve listed, they all boil down to good digestion!
It’s important to buy an apple cider vinegar that is organic and unfiltered so that all of its nutritional value is in tact. I use Bragg’s. The hazy looking stuff that settles to the bottom is called “the mother” and it is said to be the most nutritious part of the apple cider vinegar.
Things you can do to improve your digestion today:
- Take 1tbsp apple cider vinegar in water 15 minutes prior to meals to help get your digestive juices going. It works by providing enzymes and certain acids, especially if we don’t produce enough, which is common.
- If you’ve heartburn, bloating or gas, sipping on apple cider vinegar is a much better option than taking any kind of acid blocker because the stomach is actually an acid making machine, so suppressing the acid is actually going to cause long term damage, and worsen your heartburn.
- When we’re talking apple cider vinegar, we’re mostly talking protein and carb digestion; make sure you’re digesting your healthy fats optimally
- Lie on your back over a Swiss ball before each meal. Not only will it open your abs and prepare your stomach for some food on its way, often we eat stressed which switches off digestion in the first place, apple cider vinegar or not!
- And keep in mind there are usually deeper reasons as to why one may have indigestion, heartburn, gas, bloating. To find the root cause of your digestive issues it may be a good idea to delve a little deeper.
Chris Kresser tweets ‘If you want to heal your skin, you have to heal your gut’. I’d like to add that if you want to heal a lot of things you have to heal your gut; pretty much every disease can be taken back to improper digestion.
Have you tried daily apple cider vinegar for better health? Comments welcome below.